“Tea Toss for Political Favors,” is a participatory work that explores the destruction of dialogue in public discourse. From the Boston Tea Party to the rise of the Tea Party, tea is a symbol for class, economy, and rebellion in both liberal and conservative-leaning politics. Using tea as its jumping off point, This work juxtaposes the ritual of afternoon tea with a decaying public sphere, subverting a civil act into a carnival game. Political constituents double as carnival game participants who use their skills to land a spectrum of political favors.
This project recognizes the dubious granting of political favors is not a partisan activity. Instead, this project demonstrates that, in some way, each of us play a part in the construction and sustainability of a political system that is driven by a unique blend of power, industry, economy, religion, and the American Dream.
This project is a collaborative effort with Joanna Ruth Smith. Writing credit: Dean Liscum.
- stARTup Fair featured performance, Hotel Icon, Houston, Texas 2019
- Performance Art Night, Notsuoh, Houston, Texas 2019
Rules of the game
You, the political constituent, become a carnival game participant. Use your skills to land a spectrum of political favors. Liberal? Conservative? Political favoritism is apolitical. You pay; you play. Think you’re too dignified to play? In some way, each of us already plays a part in the sustainability of a political system that is driven by a unique American blend of power, industry, economy, religion, and favor. You might as well get yours.
Fancy a favor?
Toss three tea bags and three sugar cubes. Win prizes in numbered cups:
- Tickets to Hamilton or an NRA membership
- $1,000 PAC contributions
- Free pass: Subpoena refusal
- Prime time cable news interview
- #Metoo hush money
- Free pass: Obstruction of justice
- 1 hour consultation with Presidential counsel
- All expense paid trip to visit oligarch of your choice
- $1,000,000 campaign contribution
- Cabinet appointment of your choice
Departments were meant to be dismantled.
- Judicial appointment of your choice
Need a law overturned? Laws can be so restrictive.
- Presidential retweet
What’s your truth? Have the Tweeter-in-Chief spread your reality.
Free for everyone!
To remind you of the transgression you’re about to commit or ask for…
- A pocket copy of the U.S. Constitution
stARTup Fair, Houston, Texas (2019)
Performance Art Night – Election Edition, Houston, Texas (2019)